Sunday, September 11, 2011

Sunday Reflection - Ground Zero, NYC - part III

Today is the 10th Anniversary of 9/11 -
I wrote this reflection and took the photos two years ago but it still seems relevant today.

*****

Ground Zero, New York City

"I well remember them, and my soul is downcast within me. Yet this I call to mind and therefore I have hope.”
Lamentations 3:20-21



The architects visions depicting the future site of Ground Zero are pictured
on the fences around the construction site


Artists depiction of Ground Zero construction site


Construction in progress at Ground Zero


Muslim woman prays quietly while holding her Koran
as she looks out at the former site of the Twin Towers


One World Trade Center - The Freedom Tower
will be the new address

*****

The following reflection was written by Sister Grace a staff person at St. Paul's Chapel:

For the first time in months, I felt myself wondering if we would ever heal from this tragedy. Would New Yorkers be okay? Would the workers be okay? Would I?

That's when I heard it - a rustling noise, and a light and cheery chirp. It seemed to be coming from above me, so I stopped and looked up into the gnarled old tree I had wandered under. This tree too had debris in it, bunched up in half a dozen places where the branches were close together, like fingers that had reached out and grabbed their prize and were now unwilling to let go.

To my astonishment, those bits and pieces of debris had literally been transformed - made new - and were being used by the birds in their nests. And you could hear the birds chirping to each other with joy. They had no idea that this debris was from a tragic and destructive event. All they knew was that they had been given material they could use to build their nests, the safe place they would use to hatch and rear their young.

I could feel the tears falling down my cheeks as I stood there in awe and wonder. I realized that somehow, everything was going to be alright. 


Sister Grace, St. Paul's Chapel,
Ground Zero,New York City

*****

In and around the twin towers there were 2752 deaths, while 189 people died when a plane was flown into the Pentagon. Another 44 were killed when a hijacked jet crashed into a field in Pennsylvania.

"I well remember them, and my soul is downcast within me. Yet this I call to mind and therefore I have hope.” Lamentations 3:20-21

*****


Photos by peacesojourner


No comments: