Thursday, October 6, 2011

If It Is Thursday It's Going Green - Detox Your Kitchen

Detox Your Kitchen

When you have washed the dishes, mopped the floor and tidied up the kitchen are you left with a feeling of satisfaction that everything looks fresh and clean?

You may be surprised at how many toxic items there are in your kitchen.

Give some thought to eliminating the following items:

Antibacterial soap, a registered pesticide: Antibacterial soap and cleaners are registered pesticides and can do more harm than good since they don’t actually kill viruses.

Solution: trust non-antibacterial products to get the job done and keep you healthy.

Microwaving plastic radiates petroleum: Microwaving plastic with food means you are essentially radiating a petroleum product that can leach into your food.

Solution: only microwave food in ceramic or glassware.

Nonstick coatings can get into your blood: Nonstick coatings may contain a contentious chemical that can leach into food and has been found in human blood.

Solution: switch to silicone bakeware, cast iron, or, if you just use nonstick coated cookware, cook on medium or lower heat, and dispose of it if it becomes scratched — scratches make them much more dangerous.

Dishwasher detergent is loaded with phosphates: Traditional automatic dishwasher detergent is loaded with phosphates and other chemicals that can leave residue on your plates, glasses, and silverware, as well as release toxic fumes.

Solution: use only nontoxic dish detergents that pledge to contain no phosphates.

Paper towels are full of plastic: Paper towels are not actually made from just paper. Many use a plastic binder that has been bleached and can survive centuries in a landfill.

Solution: go to reusable microfiber towels and 100 percent natural non-bleached paper towels when necessary.

Floor cleaners leave residue of chemicals: Traditional floor cleaners can leave residue of harsh chemicals, including 2-butoxyethanol and methoxyethoxy ethanol, which are health hazards.

Solution: before your child or pet takes another bite off the floor, ditch the 1950s mop and bucket and go to a microfiber mop with non-toxic cleaning solution.

Excerpted from Squeaky Green: The Method Guide to Detoxing Your Home by Eric Ryan, Adam Lowry with Rima Suqi

No comments: