Friday, October 28, 2011

Enjoying the Autumn Season - 'Trees'


TREES

I think that I shall never see
A poem lovely as a tree.

A tree whose hungry mouth is prest
Against the earth's sweet flowing breast;

A tree that looks at God all day,
And lifts her leafy arms to pray;

A tree that may in Summer wear
A nest of robins in her hair;

Upon whose bosom snow has lain;
Who intimately lives with rain.

Poems are made by fools like me,
But only God can make a tree.

Joyce Kilmer (1886-1918)

A sergeant in the U.S. Infantry who was killed at the Second Battle
of the Marne in 1918 at the age of 31


*****

It was September when I first arrived in the United States. We visited in Detroit, Michigan for about a week and then we drove from Detroit to California. It was Autumn and my strongest memories of our travels are when we drove through Colorado. The trees were so beautiful and the landscape was breathtaking.

Here we are in the Autumn season again and now I live in Western New York. As I travel around the community I am in awe at the incredible colors of the foliage.

If you live in an area that does not have the four seasons I urge you to try to travel to New England or New York state, especially along Route 20.

Yes, as I have confessed before on this blog,
I am proud to declare that I am definitely a tree hugger.

peacesojourner


No comments: